Home

What's New

Blog Post | COVID-19

Deschutes County is Open, and COVID-19 Cases are Surging - Oregon says it will reimpose lockdowns when outbreaks emerge. Here’s its chance to follow through. | Numi Lee Griffith

Oregon has a solid plan to reopen, but the State must stick with it to both loosen restrictions and keep Oregonians safe.  Improved transparency and more consistent application of the reopening benchmarks is needed to do so.

> Keep Reading
News Release | U.S. PIRG Education Fund | COVID-19

Statement: Consumer complaints about COVID-19 fraud near 50,000

Consumer complaints to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) related to the coronavirus approached 50,000 on Tuesday. U.S. PIRG Education Fund has documented the actions taken by the FTC and 14 other federal agencies in response to coronavirus scams.

> Keep Reading
News Release | OSPIRG | COVID-19

As Oregon starts reopening, OSPIRG pushes for cautious approach

OSPIRG released a statement today approving of Oregon’s cautious reopening, warning that consumers should continue to take precautions.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | COVID-19

31 Oregon Counties Get a Green-light to Reopen - Now We’ll Find Out if We’re Ready | Numi Lee Griffith

Oregon has given a green light to 31 counties to begin lifting public safety restrictions put in place to contain the novel coronavirus.  However, the state as a whole still falls short of many of the benchmarks public health experts recommend states should meet before relaxing social distancing- we’re about to find out if the state is really ready to reopen.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | COVID-19

U.S. PIRG Supports Automated Contact Tracing Because More Than Anything Else, America Needs Good Information Before It Can Safely Lift Stay-At-Home Rules | Ed Mierzwinski

Public health experts have made it abundantly clear that to safely lift stay-at-home rules we must have four key things we don’t yet have. We need fast, accurate and widely available testing. We need a better plan for isolating and supporting people who have COVID-19. We need sufficient hospital capacity, including medical and protective equipment, to treat all patients safely. And we need more contact tracing. This blog explains U.S. PIRG's support for automated warning and contact tracing, subject to appropriate privacy and civil liberties protections, which can provide critical information quickly about who has potentially been exposed.

> Keep Reading

Pages

News Release | U.S. PIRG Education Fund | COVID-19

Statement: Consumer complaints about COVID-19 fraud near 50,000

Consumer complaints to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) related to the coronavirus approached 50,000 on Tuesday. U.S. PIRG Education Fund has documented the actions taken by the FTC and 14 other federal agencies in response to coronavirus scams.

> Keep Reading
News Release | OSPIRG | COVID-19

As Oregon starts reopening, OSPIRG pushes for cautious approach

OSPIRG released a statement today approving of Oregon’s cautious reopening, warning that consumers should continue to take precautions.

> Keep Reading
News Release | U.S. PIRG Education Fund | Consumer Protection

Americans need stronger consumer protections during COVID-19 crisis

U.S. PIRG Education Fund has released a report with the Student Borrower Protection Center and Consumer Action. The report makes recommendations to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to upgrade its consumer complaint tool, including the public consumer complaint database, so COVID19-related complaints can be handled more quickly and tracked better.

> Keep Reading
News Release | OSPIRG | Democracy

OSPIRG Statement on Multnomah County v Mehrwein

 

The Oregon Supreme Court has affirmed the constitutionality of campaign contribution limits in Oregon. The ruling that the court issued Thursday in Multnomah County v Mehrwein overturned previous precedent from the 1997 decision Vanetta v Keisling. 

> Keep Reading
News Release | U.S. PIRG Education Fund | COVID-19

Statement: SBA data breach puts business owners at risk of ID theft and other fraud

The Small Business Administration (SBA) announced Tuesday that the personal information of nearly 8,000 business owners applying for federal disaster loans had been exposed. The breach affects applicants to the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program (EIDL), and may have included names, Social Security numbers, addresses, birth dates, email addresses, phone numbers, citizenship statuses and insurance information.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Result | Tax

No tax giveaway for Comcast

The Oregon Department of Revenue has denied Comcast a big payday at taxpayer expense, following a public outcry and petitions from thousands of Oregonians across the state opposing a tax giveaway for the internet giant.

> Keep Reading
Result | Tax

More Transparency for Economic Development Subsidies

After an outcry from the public, Governor Kitzhaber’s administration brought more transparency to economic development subsidies—giving Oregon taxpayers more tools to be able to track their return on investment through the Oregon Transparency Website. 

> Keep Reading
Result | Health Care

Kitzhaber Administration takes action on health care costs

At the direction of Gov. Kitzhaber, the Oregon Health Policy Board has adopted an OSPIRG-backed proposal to take steps toward cutting the waste out of our health care system, estimated to make up as much as 1/3 of every dollar we spend on care.

> Keep Reading
Result | Health Care

Governor Kitzhaber To Pursue Strengthened Scrutiny for Health Insurance Rates

Following an OSPIRG Foundation report recommending changes to Oregon's health insurance rate review process to make it more effective, Governor Kitzhaber has announced that his administration will take the next steps.

> Keep Reading
Report | U.S. PIRG Education Fund | COVID-19

Putting Consumers First

U.S. PIRG Education Fund, the Student Borrower Protection Center and Consumer Action have released a report recommending that  CFPB should use the full extent of its authority to take immediate action to strengthen its consumer complaint tool, hold companies accountable for providing complete and timely responses to consumers, and leverage consumer complaints related to the pandemic to support oversight and regulatory action to protect consumers.

> Keep Reading
Report | OSPIRG Foundation | Consumer Tips, Consumer Protection

Price gouging on Amazon during the Coronavirus outbreak

Empty store shelves and out of stock signs are becoming more common in America as the Coronavirus reaches the nation’s shores. While many regions have yet to declare a state of emergency, a new analysis by U.S. PIRG Education Fund revealed the 30-day average price of surgical masks and hand sanitizer 18.5 percent higher than the three month average. High prices during February were at times more than double the average cost of the same product over a 90-day time period.

> Keep Reading
Report | OSPIRG Foundation | Consumer Tips, Public Health

Food Recall Failure

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that 48 million Americans contract a food borne illness yearly with 128,000 people hospitalized and 3,000 dead as a result of these illnesses. 

> Keep Reading
Report | OSPIRG Foundation | Consumer Tips, Health Care

The Real Price of Medication

People living in the United States have access to some of the best medical care in the world, from life-saving drugs to cutting-edge surgical techniques. But our system is deeply flawed, with spiraling costs forcing many Americans to spend more on care and often receiving poor quality care for all the extra money spent.

> Keep Reading
Report | OSPIRG Foundation | Budget, Tax

Following the Money 2019

Citizens’ ability to understand how their tax dollars are spent is fundamental to democracy. Budget and spending transparency holds government officials accountable for making smart decisions, checks corruption, and provides citizens an opportunity to affect how government dollars are spent.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Blog Post | COVID-19

Deschutes County is Open, and COVID-19 Cases are Surging - Oregon says it will reimpose lockdowns when outbreaks emerge. Here’s its chance to follow through. | Numi Lee Griffith

Oregon has a solid plan to reopen, but the State must stick with it to both loosen restrictions and keep Oregonians safe.  Improved transparency and more consistent application of the reopening benchmarks is needed to do so.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | COVID-19

31 Oregon Counties Get a Green-light to Reopen - Now We’ll Find Out if We’re Ready | Numi Lee Griffith

Oregon has given a green light to 31 counties to begin lifting public safety restrictions put in place to contain the novel coronavirus.  However, the state as a whole still falls short of many of the benchmarks public health experts recommend states should meet before relaxing social distancing- we’re about to find out if the state is really ready to reopen.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | COVID-19

U.S. PIRG Supports Automated Contact Tracing Because More Than Anything Else, America Needs Good Information Before It Can Safely Lift Stay-At-Home Rules | Ed Mierzwinski

Public health experts have made it abundantly clear that to safely lift stay-at-home rules we must have four key things we don’t yet have. We need fast, accurate and widely available testing. We need a better plan for isolating and supporting people who have COVID-19. We need sufficient hospital capacity, including medical and protective equipment, to treat all patients safely. And we need more contact tracing. This blog explains U.S. PIRG's support for automated warning and contact tracing, subject to appropriate privacy and civil liberties protections, which can provide critical information quickly about who has potentially been exposed.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | COVID-19

Factory farms: A pandemic in the making. | Matt Wellington

The emergence and spread of the novel coronavirus pandemic is a symptom of how we raise food animals across the world. 

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | COVID-19

COVID-19 and Health Coverage in Oregon: What do You Need to Know? (Updated April 7, 2020) | Numi Lee Griffith

OSPIRG Foundation has prepared this guide to help you understand how you can get health coverage if you’re at risk of losing employer sponsored insurance, what special protections have been created for insured consumers in Oregon, what insurance coverage can help you with during the outbreak, and what benefits are available to all Oregonians under emergency measures.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Blog Post

Oregon has a solid plan to reopen, but the State must stick with it to both loosen restrictions and keep Oregonians safe.  Improved transparency and more consistent application of the reopening benchmarks is needed to do so.

News Release | U.S. PIRG Education Fund

Consumer complaints to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) related to the coronavirus approached 50,000 on Tuesday. U.S. PIRG Education Fund has documented the actions taken by the FTC and 14 other federal agencies in response to coronavirus scams.

Blog Post

Oregon has given a green light to 31 counties to begin lifting public safety restrictions put in place to contain the novel coronavirus.  However, the state as a whole still falls short of many of the benchmarks public health experts recommend states should meet before relaxing social distancing- we’re about to find out if the state is really ready to reopen.

News Release | OSPIRG

OSPIRG released a statement today approving of Oregon’s cautious reopening, warning that consumers should continue to take precautions.

Blog Post

Public health experts have made it abundantly clear that to safely lift stay-at-home rules we must have four key things we don’t yet have. We need fast, accurate and widely available testing. We need a better plan for isolating and supporting people who have COVID-19. We need sufficient hospital capacity, including medical and protective equipment, to treat all patients safely. And we need more contact tracing. This blog explains U.S. PIRG's support for automated warning and contact tracing, subject to appropriate privacy and civil liberties protections, which can provide critical information quickly about who has potentially been exposed.

Support us

Your tax-deductible donation supports OSPIRG Foundation’s work to educate consumers on the issues that matter, and the powerful interests that are blocking progress.

Learn More

You can also support OSPIRG Foundation’s work through bequests, contributions from life insurance or retirement plans, securities contributions and vehicle donations. 




OSPIRG Foundation is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to getting things done.